FAQs Section 8: Background screening requirements
8.1 What are the background screening requirements for home health agency owners and administrative and direct service staff?
PLEASE NOTE: Changes in law during the 2010 legislative session changed the background screening and hiring process for health care providers. The changes are:
Please go to this link to read the information that was prepared for licensed providers for the new requirements for background screening effective August 1, 2010: Background Screening.
- Replaces all Level 1 background screening with Level 2 screening
- Requires Level 2 screening for:
- Any person seeking employment who may provide personal care or services directly to clients, or have access to client’s living areas, personal property or client funds;
- Any contractor who provides personal care or services directly to clients;
- Administrators and Financial Officers
- A controlling interest (owner, officer, board member) if AHCA has reason to believe the person has been convicted of a disqualifying offense.
- Requires Level 2 rescreening every 5 years.
- Applicants should be rescreened according to the following staggered schedule
- Individuals for whom the last screening was conducted on or before December 31, 2004, must be rescreened by July 31, 2013.
- Individuals for whom the last screening conducted was between January 1, 2005, and December 31, 2008, must be rescreened by July 31, 2014.
- Individuals for whom the last screening conducted was between January 1, 2009, through July 31, 2011, must be rescreened by July 31, 2015.
- Level 2 screening in the previous 5 years by AHCA, Department of Health, Agency for Persons with Disabilities, Department of Children and Department of Financial Services (when employed by a continuing care retirement community) and the Department of Elder Affairs can be accepted if the person has not been unemployed for more than 90 days. The employee must complete and sign an Affidavit of Compliance with Background Screening Requirements AHCA Form 3100-0008, August 2010.
- The Affidavit of Compliance with Background Screening Requirements AHCA Form 3100-0008 was revised effective August 2010 to include new disqualifying offenses. All persons required to be screened above must sign this form.
Back to Top