Manager, Assisted Living Unit
Bureau of Health Facility Regulation
2727 Mahan Drive - Mail Stop #30
Tallahassee, FL 32308
(850) 922-1984 Fax
Assisted Living Facility
An assisted living facility (ALF) is designed to provide personal care services in the least restrictive and most home-like environment. These facilities can range in size from one resident to several hundred and may offer a wide variety of personal and nursing services designed specifically to meet an individual's personal needs.
Facilities are licensed to provide routine personal care services under a "Standard" license, or more specific services under the authority of "Specialty" licenses. ALFs meeting the requirements for a Standard license may also qualify for specialty licenses. The purpose of "Specialty Licenses" is to allow individuals to "age in place" in familiar surroundings that can adequately and safely meet their continuing healthcare needs.
It is unlawful to knowingly refer a person for residency to an unlicensed assisted living facility. Any person who violates this law, commits a noncriminal violation, punishable by a fine not exceeding $500 as provided in s. 775.083, Florida Statutes.
Information on ALF law and regulation may be obtained from the Department of Elder Affairs’ web site at elderaffairs.state.fl.us. Pursuant Chapter 429.52(1) and (9) assisted living facility administrator training is required. Only individuals registered by the Department of Elder Affairs are qualified to provide the training. To obtain a list of approved trainers, select “ALF Training Providers; Test Fees” from the above link.
More detailed program information on assisted living facilities can be found at the Department of Elder Affairs' Florida Affordable Assisted Living Website.
To search for licensed assisted living facilities, please visit the following link: http://www.floridahealthfinder.gov/.
- 2012 Legislative Notice (54kb PDF)
- Licensure Fee Increase Letter (31kb PDF)
- ALF Questions/Concerns/Observations (107kb PDF)
ALFs (1.16mb PDF)
ALFs with ECC (158kb PDF)
ALFs with LMH (339kb PDF)
ALFs with LNS (336kb PDF)
- Chapter 408, Part II, Florida Statutes (PDF) (252kb)/ (HTML)
- Chapter 59A-35, Florida Administrative Code (HTML)
- Chapter 429, Part I, Florida Statutes (PDF) (423kb)/ (HTML)
- Chapter 58A-5, Florida Administrative Code (HTML)
- Chapter 58T-1, Florida Administrative Code (HTML)
- Chapter 419, Florida Statutes (HTML)
Regulation Set (PDF)
The Regulation Set includes the Assisted Living Standard, Extended Congregate Care, Limited Mental Health, Limited Nursing Services, and AHCA Core Licensure Deficiencies.
Application and Forms
- Application Information and Instructions
- Community Residential Home Affidavit of Compliance (28kb PDF)
- Assisted Living Facility Resource Manual, Revised October 2013 (PDF)
- Assisted Living Facility and Adult Family Care Home Unlicensed Activity Checklist (PDF)
- Application Packet Fees (88kb PDF)
- Dept. Of Health - Notice (42kb PDF)
- Emergency Management Planning Criteria for Assisted Living Facilities (207kb PDF)
- Provider Emergency Contact Information and Resources (DOC)
- Recommended Guidelines for Adult Protective Services re: Sexual Offenders/Predators, March, 2010 (180kb PDF)
- Recommended Guidelines for Assisted Living Homes re: Sexual Offenders/Predators, March, 2010 (201kb PDF)
- Sample Surety Bond Document (132kb PDF)
Community Residential Homes
- Important Notice; Assisted Living Facility Zoning Requirements (45kb PDF)
- District Community Residential Home Coordinators (12kb PDF)
Background Screening Information
Resident Health Assessment
- Resident Health Assessment for ALFs AHCA Form 1823 (155kb PDF)
- Resident Health Assessment for ALFs Recommended for Medicaid recipients that are also required to have the AHCA Form 035-Certification of Medical Necessity and AHCA Form 036-Medicaid Service Plan
- Homes licensed by the Agency for Health Care Administration--visit the AHCA website at http://www.floridahealthfinder.gov*
- Homes licensed by the Department of Children and Families--visit the DCF website at http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/regions/ to locate the Community Residential Home licensing staff in the appropriate district.
- Homes licensed by the Agency for Persons with Disabilities--visit
the APD website at http://www.flddresources.org/html/contact_us.htm to locate the APD staff in the appropriate district.
* (Please do not use as the sole source of information for determining 1000 feet of distance between facilities)